What level of assistance do you offer?
- Typically our staff/traveler ratio is 1:3 or 1:4.
- Traveler’s requiring more assistance have the option to bring their own PCA (at a discounted rate), or arrange extra staffing through Hammer Travel (fees apply and dependent on availability).
What are the sleeping arrangements?
- Every traveler is guaranteed their own bed.
- Men and women travelers will not share a room unless approved by each traveler’s guardian/legal representative prior to the trip.
How are medications distributed?
- We utilize a medication administration record that informs staff when medications need to be given.
- Medications will be given at the same time they are normally given in each traveler’s home time zone. We will compensate for time zone changes.
Is there a number for me to call and check on my loved one while they are on a trip?
Yes, after the registration forms and payment are received, we will send out a pre-trip information packet including phone numbers for contacting the Hammer Travel staff.
What type of transportation is used?
- The traveler’s family or caregiver will provide transportation to and from the airport or initial starting point of the trip.
- With some exception, we will use rental cars and vans for transportation at each destination. We may use shuttle buses, cruise ships, taxicabs and pontoon boats for various activities on the trip.
What does a typical day on a trip look like?
- Activities are planned so that travelers won’t feel rushed.
- Trips are designed to promote as much individuality/independence as possible.
- Detailed trip itineraries will be sent out to each person registered for the trip.
Do you have a plan in place in case of an emergency?
- The best way to deal with an emergency is to prevent one in the first place. We do this by having well-trained travel team members.
- Travel team members receive thorough training in CPR, First Aid, and several other emergency skills.
- We also have 24-hour on-call administrators and nurses to help if any emergency arises.
Can I go on a trip if I need to use a wheelchair?
- Yes, we will make necessary accommodations for everyone by using wheelchair accessible vehicles and hotel rooms, providing staff trained in proper lifting and transfer techniques and planning activities based on accessibility.
- If you need special accommodations, we will work with you to make sure you feel safe and supported.
- We have a predetermined number of spaces for wheelchairs on each trip. If we cannot accommodate a traveler because of these limitations, that person will have priority booking on the next trip of their choosing.
Does Hammer Travel offer trip insurance?
Can I contact Hammer Travel on weekends?
The Hammer Travel office is staffed during the week days only. You may leave a message and someone will get back to you on Monday. If you have a question regarding a trip leaving on Monday, call the trip leader phone number on your itinerary and leave a message.
Will Hammer Travel ever cancel a trip due to bad weather?
If the airlines are flying to the destination and the hotel is open, Hammer Travel will be there. Safety is our top priority, so if we need to cancel a trip due to weather, you will be contacted by a Hammer Travel representative.